Saturday, January 21, 2012

Stories from the Doctor's Office.



Quite a few years ago, I had just the BEST "woman's" doctor. The doctor was a man but always went the extra mile to make me feel more comfortable by telling jokes and stories of some of his adventures as a doctor. 

Have you ever found yourself laughing while a doctor is "examining" you? It's a VERY odd experience at first but with time it actually was something to look forward to. He had hysterical stories of misadventures, misunderstandings and such and always made me laugh.

He told a great story about how on a particularly cold winter day, a young child was playing with his mom's pots and pans in the kitchen, put his head in a pot and had a screw holding the handle come loose, trapping his head from the nose up, inside the pot. The mom, not wanting the child to catch a cold on the way to the emergency room to get the pot removed from her child's head, carefully put a Montreal Canadiens tuque (winter hat) OVER the pot. The doctor's description of the sight of this poor child being dragged blindly with this pot and tuque on his head into the emergency room waiting room was enough to still have me giggling about it 20+ years later. 

To this day, when it is THAT time of year, even though I sadly no longer have that doctor, I am reminded of some of the stories he told. 

I few years ago while surfing the web, I came across a story similar in nature to ones that my doctor shared with me  which makes me wonder if (A) he made all those stories up or (B) maybe he was the actual doctor in this story. 

Let me make this clear. This is NOT my story. I swear! I'm not even certain if it is a true story, but I do know that it made me laugh and therefore I felt the need to share it with you ...



"THE WASHCLOTH"


I was due for an appointment with the gynecologist later in the week.
Early one morning, I received a call from the doctor's office to tell me that I had been rescheduled for that morning at 9:30 am.

I had only just packed everyone off to work and school, and it was already around 8:45 am.

The trip to his office took about 35 minutes, so I didn't have any time to spare.

As most women do, I like to take a little extra effort over hygiene when making such visits, but this time I wasn't going to be able to make the full effort.

So, I rushed upstairs, threw off my pajamas, wet the washcloth that was sitting next to the sink, and gave myself a quick wash in that area to make sure I was at least presentable

I threw the washcloth in the clothes basket, donned some clothes, hopped in the car and raced to my appointment. I was in the waiting room for only a few minutes when I was called in.

Knowing the procedure, as I'm sure you do, I hopped up on the table, looked over at the other side of the room and pretended that I was in Paris or some other place a million miles away.

I was a little surprised when the doctor said,
"My, we have made an extra effort this morning, haven't we?"

I didn't respond.

After the appointment, I heaved a sigh of relief and went home. The rest of the day was normal . Some shopping, cleaning, cooking.

After school when my 6 year old daughter was playing, she called out from the bathroom, "Mommy, where's my washcloth?" I told her to get another one from the cupboard.

She replied, "No, I need the one that was here by the sink, it had all my glitter and sparkles saved inside it."

NEVER going back to that doctor ever, ever, ever!!

No comments:

Post a Comment